The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinions on which HRE wheels to use! Pictures!

alansupra94

Well I bought these wheels and I am curious on what I should use?

Set 1:
IMG_20101029_233448.jpg

IMG_20101029_233432.jpg

Set 2:
IMG_20101029_233359.jpg

IMG_20101029_233404.jpg

Next to each other:
IMG_20101029_233346.jpg

I will try and get better pictures tomorrow. Yes I am aware the second set is 4 Lug, as I have 4 lugs sitting in my garage as we speak. I am ALMOST 100% sure that the center pieces can be switched between the two sets (the gold spoke section).

Also I plan on powder-coating them black so they match my white car better.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Winter, set 1
Summer, set 2
That's my opinion.

...and here's more
I know i am probably a minority of opinion here, and those wheels are cool for the "old school factor", but DAYUM they're ugly!
Everyone has different taste, though.

alansupra94

^^^^

You're the first person to say they are ugly. Cleaned up, powdercoated and with a smaller tire profile, I think these would look great. Honeslty, I don't feel like swapping hubs every winter to swap these wheels :p. Plus I have another spare set from my dads rx8 with blizzak winter tires already.

I am leaning towards the flat lip right now.

alansupra94

I really don't like the gold color too much though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

TSimage

Use your 5 lugs send me the 4 lugs. They'll look much better on a Belize. And yes, it will look horrendous black. Please leave them the color they're suppose to be. Black n white cars are played out.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

mitsuturbo

+1 on the black wheels

Plain black wheels are fugly IMO. Something with a polished silver accents on some nice spokes and a silver lip, with silver fasteners looks "ok" but the whole "mrdrdout" wheel look is haggard and played.

If i could find another set of 4/5x114.3 RH Evolution C5000's, i'd snatch them up in a hurry.

Like i said, though.. diff strokes for diff folks. I do not like the same thing many others like, and vice versa.
It takes all kinds to make the world go round. Do what you like, and don't worry what others think. You have two sets of wheels there.. you definitely have your options available at this point.

ApexHunter

I'd keep em looking just as they are, but they could use a little TLC. Just polish the barrels and respray the faces and they'll look tits. Gold on white looks great! I think i'd go with the 5 lug set i guess but really i like em both.

Circuit

Both sets are 3 piece wheels, why not just swap the faces if you like the 4 lug lip. Actually, I bet you could just flip the face on the 5 lug set to the back of the lip and it would look like 4 lug set. The offset would then be lower since you are moving the mounting pad closer to the centerline of the wheel. This can be done with BBS LM's and it lowers the offset by 15mm.

citymunky

I say keep te 5 lug's and sell me your 4 Lugs rims. HRE's are baller wheels, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pick them up for?

Whoodoo

I don't understand how these are so expensive. They are a 2 piece wheel, so HRE wouldn't even have to make the rim. Plus, the difference between the two sets as far as I can tell is that the spokes are are bolted in front or behind the rim. The centers themselves look the same to me. If that's the case, then they really only need to make that one simple center and just bolt it to different rims. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

EDIT: ok, I looked again and they aren't the same. I still think they're both ugly though, especially on a galant.

btw I'm not trolling here. If you love em then go for it. And to answer your question, I like the one with the bolt heads visible.

Last edited:

alansupra94

Quoting TSimage:
Use your 5 lugs send me the 4 lugs. They'll look much better on a Belize. And yes, it will look horrendous black. Please leave them the color they're suppose to be. Black n white cars are played out.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I dunno, they look pretty good here:

click

I may go with a gun-metal gray if anything. Not sure yet.

Quoting Circuit:
Both sets are 3 piece wheels, why not just swap the faces if you like the 4 lug lip. Actually, I bet you could just flip the face on the 5 lug set to the back of the lip and it would look like 4 lug set. The offset would then be lower since you are moving the mounting pad closer to the centerline of the wheel. This can be done with BBS LM's and it lowers the offset by 15mm.

I figured I could do that. The only thing is I am missing a wheel for the second set. I will be calling HRE to get a replacement one or just the barrel. Not sure what I want to do.

And I paid $350 for all 7 of them with tires picked up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

As of now, I might just leave them be and drive on the 5 lug set until the tires get worn out as their profile and width seem a little big. I guess when its tire changing time, I will decide which ones to keep or which ones to sell.

Last edited:

alansupra94

Quoting Whoodoo:
I don't understand how these are so expensive. They are a 2 piece wheel, so HRE wouldn't even have to make the rim. Plus, the difference between the two sets as far as I can tell is that the spokes are are bolted in front or behind the rim. The centers themselves look the same to me. If that's the case, then they really only need to make that one simple center and just bolt it to different rims. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

EDIT: ok, I looked again and they aren't the same. I still think they're both ugly though, especially on a galant.

btw I'm not trolling here. If you love em then go for it. And to answer your question, I like the one with the bolt heads visible.

They are 3-piece wheels and you are right, the centers look the same.

Last edited:

NickDromez

i like the 4 lug one better. however, i dont really like either on a galant. those would work great on a bmw

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned